Tuesday, October 17, 2006

MAHJONG

My elder sister’s called me on the phone “tonight we go ah san’s house to celebrate 中秋 (mid autumn festival) ya”. My initial reaction is ““ha? Still 中秋? Whats are we going to do there?” My sister’s replied “Ah san’s asking us to go to his house to eat moon cake and play cards”

I only got one elder sister and we all call her “tai kar cher” mean big sister in Cantonese and Ah san is my younger sister.

Even though mid autumn was over a week ago, but after all I think family gathering and playing cards session is not too bad. I just said yes without checking with my husband whether he can make it or not. I was just wondering, why this round is playing cards instead of our usual mahjong games (our most favorable family outing). My whole families enjoying playing mahjong including my 3 year old nephew but not my husband. That’s why card games come into the pictures. My younger sister’s worries that my hubby will be boring. My hubby enjoying card games but he only know a few simple games.

My hubby’s was trained by his parents from young, not to touch anything related to gamble (mahjong and cards) and no exception even though playing for funs . Maybe this is the reasons he has no interest at all with mahjong. My late father in law’s was a mahjong operator. Basically he provides the amenities for mahjong game (place, mahjong tiles, drinks and foods) and in return he gets some commissions. It’s pretty common to find such a place in china town and normally these activities will be carried out at various associations.

Maybe my hubby also finds the mahjong too complicated. I really kowtow to the elderly who actually counts the points very quickly. Me my self having hard time of counting my fingers.

Good sides of mahjong

  • Fun game to pass time
  • Enhance relationship between the players. Basically you have the time to chit chatting about anything during the mahjong sessions. (of course we have to understand the “money” is not so much about gamble but just some incentives for you to stay awake and we all play among families members/friends… not so much of the money issues. Don’t ever play with the “lan tou kwai” (those who really gamble). This is totally the opposite of everything.
  • Increase blood circulation. (your heart will beat twice the rate when you are about to get your game points tiles)
  • Prevent “lou yan chi ngoi”.
  • Good exercise for arms and brain.

That night, we still ended up playing 4 persons Mah Jongs games. My younger sister’s lost 30 cents after 2 games… I think the next time we have to adjust the incentives… or else will really fall asleep. No matter how deep is our loves to the games…

No comments: