Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Bentung

Today, i wanna talk about my home town bentung.
Bentung town is located around the hilly areas in the central of penisula malaysia..
I came to KL in 1989 right after i finished my secondary school for further study . Like what the chinese qoutes "ah ngau chut sang seang" the meaning is somesort like uneducated vilager go to big city....
not anymore.... bentung has gotten the city status since 2006... yeah at least there are some changes!!!! after so long and after all not so bad, i found few articles talking/promoting bentung when searching with googgle. ya I found the writing about Bentung Ice Cream, Bentung Sunday Market and breakfast at one of coffee shop around town Bentung Coffee Shop. The write ups and the photos are nice.
I start to eat bentung ice cream from young. I think they started the business before i born and I only know that now the ice cream business at bentung are from the same families.. I remembered that my parents always bring us for ice cream during my childhood years. Normally it is after dinner time... around 8:00pm and we went to Jaya super market or thong fatt for a walk and then go to kow poo for ice cream. The parking lot in front of kow poo use to be a big open air hawker center, with satay store, yau yu ong choi, nasi lemak and probably grilled chicken wing, and of course the ice cream and drinks from kow poo. I can't really recall any other food and i never been to kow poo for so long and i don't see the hawker center is still there .. just the kow poo shop is still surviving.



Nearby attraction at bentung are
  • Chamang Baru water fall
  • Batu 7, river
  • Hutan Lipur Lentang (forest reserves)
  • Kolam Air Panas (not recommended, caused here have nothing much to offer)

Other attraction further down to KL are

  • Genting Highland
  • Bukit Tinggi and few other resorts around the areas

The famous at Bentung are: -

  • Ginger (The vegetables seller at KL try to con me… haaa. This is bentung ginger, very expensive one. Wanted to charge me Rm4.00 for one ginger… slightly bigger than palm size)
  • Ice cream (check out here Bentung Ice Cream)
  • Wantan Mee (wait till you try and you tell me. I am not fancy for wantan mee but my comment is the mee is nice… but too bad caused I didn’t buy the idea of eating the "mee" and caused my stomach full for half a day and couldn't take anything else) the wantan mee served with small portions of “char siew” and “wantan”
  • Toufoo and Tau Fu Pok (probably Tau Fo Fa also caused I didn’t have any chance to taste it since many years back caused the store is close on Sunday)
  • Soy sauce (“sau chi kong” brand)
  • Durian
  • Various kind of exotic foods (most will think this is for cruel people)
  • “Sat ke ma” type of snack that make from flour and malts
  • Kaya Puff
  • Fresh Water fish

The famous simbalek nut from Raub is selling here (fresh stock from Raub) and of course I can’t left out this “tin kai mai” (frog meehon), where my colleagues is “sek tou fan cham mei” (wanted to eat again). My hubby also likes it very much. I dare not say the shop I bring them is the famous “tin kai mai” in bentung. This is rather a common food you can find at Bentung. Wait one find day and I will post the photo in my blog.

This is the special pre-post to satisfy my colleague who can’t find their way back to that restaurant, thus i hereby draw the map to “Nga Si Si”. I bring them to this restaruant caused the price here is cheaper. most of the restaurant (tai chow - chinese cuisine) at bentung is nice. The “ham yue fa lam poo” at Nga si si used to be very nice. The last time I eat there is not good at all (rated below average, for bentung standard)… hemmmm I couldn’t figure out either is the father or the son did it… recommended you to order steam cat fish as well. It is always fresh… the meat “Tan Nga” especially the “min g tan” and also try the “chui pai tou foo”. And if you want some more, ask the cook for the “la shou hou choi” /signature dish

Last but not least there is this home made “hong tou suet/ping” (red bean ice) sell by one of the store at Kampong Perting… I have never seen any similar one sell at some other places, simple preparation that suit my taste. Draw the map to this store? I think this is crazy, you will never find it, and somebody who knows kampong perting will understand. Not many know about this red bean ice, it’s not famous but is in my list of the food that I treasure for. The photo is coming soon. and the map to nga si si, almost kill me. “Nga si si” is open at night, business start from 5:30pm onwards


No comments: